Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Ileitis in Show Pigs

Over the past couple months we have been receiving several calls a day from show pig feeders regarding scours.  In almost all cases the description of the symptoms is very typical of ileitis.

Ileitis is caused by a very common pathogen Lawsonia intracellularis.   In the acute form of the disease we will see scours with or without unclotted blood and even sudden death. In the more chronic form we see sporadic scours and poor growth performance. You can also see pigs that have severe lesions in their intestine without much of any outward clinical signs.  This is a performance robbing disease that can keep pigs from making their ideal weight and the risk of sudden death in high value show pigs is more than enough reason to pay attention.

This fact sheet from Iowa State University (Go Cyclones!) gives a more detailed explanation of the disease.

https://vetmed.iastate.edu/vdpam/FSVD/swine/index-diseases/Ileitis

It is pretty clear that the antibiotics that used to be ubiquitous in show feeds kept ileitis at bay.  With the advent of VFD rules  and feed manufacturers removing antibiotics from their "floor stock" show feeds it has reared its ugly head with a vengeance. Without that management tool show pig feeders are going to have to manage this disease much more carefully and be prepared to treat it individually and via in the water.  Tylan 200 injection 1 cc per 50 lbs twice a day followed by water soluble Tylan or Denagard are products we  commonly use.  Using Tylan 200 to treat ileitis is extra label so consult with your veterinarian.

Here are links to those products.

https://www.elanco.us/products-services/swine/arthritis-control.aspx

https://www.elanco.us/products-services/swine/soluble-dysentery-ileitis-control.aspx

https://www.elanco.us/products-services/swine/denagard.aspx

There have been numerous studies that suggest essential oils from garlic, rosemary, and oregano like the ones in our TrueCOOL product have some antimicrobial benefit and may help manage enteric diseases like ileitis.  Reports from customers that use TrueCOOL are also encouraging.

You can learn more about TrueCOOL here:

http://goinshowin.com/truecool.php

Show pig breeders should think about using vaccine to help their customers control the disease.  There is either a live oral vaccine or an injectable vaccine that can be administered to pigs 3 weeks of age or older.  If you use the oral vaccine pigs need to be off all antibiotics for 7 days with vaccination happening on day 4. So it requires some planning but then it can be administer via the drinking water or individually dosed.  The injectable vaccine has a long duration of protection and does not require withdrawing antibiotics. But has the downside of a significant percentage of pigs developing injection site lesions. The lesions are temporary and do not usually require any treatment but may be an appearance issue when selling young show pigs.

Here are links to BI's and Merck's vaccine

http://www.bi-vetmedica.com/species/swine/products/enterisol_ileitis.html

http://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/products/porcilis_ileitis/index.aspx

3 comments:

  1. Hello, everyone!
    I'm From UK. I'm here to explore blogs and forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS (HSV). I was positive to the deadly virus called HERPES and i lost hope because i was outcasted and rejected even by my closet friends. i searched online to know and enquirer about cure for HERPES and i read someone testimony on how he was cured from HSV-2 so i decided to contact the same herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via DHL and it got to me after 3 days! i used the med as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured! its really like a dream but i'm so happy! that's the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more can be saved just like me! and if you need his help, you can email him on driayaryi2012@hotmail.com or call him Number: +2349057915709 Thanks Dr. Iyaryi driayaryi2012@hotmail.com And also Reach him on WhatsApp Number: +2349057915709 Thanks Dr. Iyaryi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good new my bf is back.. I was having serious relationship problems with my bf and it had has gotten to a point of him moving out to his friend’s apartment. everything got worse because he started going to bars and strip clubs frequently with his friend, getting drunk and passing out. He always threatens me on phone whenever I call him because of all the bad advises that his friend has given him. I really love him and we had been dating for 8 years which gave us a beautiful daughter. I had also lost a lot of money on therapists until I was introduced to Dr happy by a friend whom he helped to marry her childhood bf; this gave me total confidence and strength to get him back. I did all he asked and a day after the spell my bf called me and rushed back home, things just changed between us emotionally. He has a job and stopped drinking and keeping irrelevant friends. It’s a miracle I never believed was possible because I had lost all hope until I found Dr happy. So that’s why I promised to share my testimony all over the universe. Please my advise to every one looking for relationship help, marriage help, get and fix your broken home, is to contact Dr happy the real Africa spell caster now on.............. happylovespell2@gmail.com for more about him and his love spell how it work fast, visit his web site..... http://happyspelltemple.webs.com/ and for mobile call or..... Whats-app messages add him on +2348133873774.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello all viewer online herpes has cure but doctor said herpes has no cure until i met  Dr BAWADA who help me in my life. I was infected with Herpes Genital in 2008, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution, so that my body can be okay. until this faithful day as i was browsing the net I saw a testimony on how Dr. BAWADA helped people in curing HERPES disease, quickly I copied his Email which is drbawadasolutionhome@gmail.com so i contacted him for solution for my Herpes, so Dr BAWADA told me that his going to prepare herbal medicine for my health,then he prepared the medicine and luckily after two week my herpes was be cured. Dr BAWADA is well recognize as one of the best herbalist doctor in Africa, you don't have to be sad anymore or share your tears anymore on this disease when the cure have already be found by Dr. BAWADA herbal medicine, he so cure HIV,CANCER, ALS,HEPATITIS B, DIABETIC ,or his WhatsApp Mobile number:+254741086480 OR web/site
    http://drbawadasolutionho.wixsite.com/drbawada

    ReplyDelete